High performing secrets to faster recovery from an injury for Solo CEOs
Part 1 Recovering from injury faster
If you have ever been in an accident you know the pain and process of recovery can be unbearable if you work for yourself.
But there is a way to recover faster than the average person and I’m going to share that secret with you.
Recently I was in a car accident as a passenger heading back from NY and was rear-ended by a commercial service vehicle. No fun. You would think in today’s tech advanced world we would have a way to prevent accidents to cars. (Yes they are working on it. But it’s not ready yet.)
And before you read this let me add that this is in no way to be accepted as medical advice. This purely is the way I bounced back from an accident that put me out of work for awhile. Take it for what you will, just don’t take it as medical advice. YOU should check with your Doctor. I am not giving advice. I am not a Doctor even if I played one on TV. (<–ok to laugh here.) Check with your physician.
As high performers we tend to think it’s okay to rest while working in bed doing 36 other things. But resting your mind AND body will help you recover sooner. That is the precursor to the secrets I used.
And now on with the secrets…
So here’s what I did in no particular order.
1. I turned down jobs during my recovery period. There’s no sense in trying to work if you can’t. Rest until you are fully able to go out there.
2. Have disability insurance in place so when you can’t work you are still financially covered. Yes, they actually sell this insurance for self employed individuals. Stay tuned a great friend of mine DaRayl Davis, CEO of Financial Assurance Corporation and Founder of Smart Money Academy will be bringing you information on this shortly. If you haven’t heard of Mr. DaRayl Davis head over to his Smart Money Academy and sign up! Your future and your bank account will thank you. If you sign up for any of the Smart Money Series sign up for my newsletter AND forward your receipt to me and get your business opt-in from me “How to make money with Social for SoloCEO’s” valued at $99.00 it’s a double win.
3. I referred jobs to other Solo CEOs that align with my work style. (More on how to find other Solo CEO’s that align with your style in a future post. Let me know in the comments if there is something particular you want me to cover that can help.)
4. I have a good team in place to take care of client details. Get an assistant, virtual or otherwise. Find a team who can help you in the details. Thank you shout out to my assistant Hailey B! You rock!
5. I meditate and visualize on my recovery. Here’s a great resource to get you started (and its funny too in its true-ness). Check it out —>here.
6. I saw my doctor immediately. Flying in on a Thursday afternoon then getting rear ended I was able to see my doctor Friday morning. This helped immensely.
7. I researched what the latest options available are for my injury and determined what works best for me with my doctor. It’s a trip to physical therapy playland for awhile but completely worth it!
8. I eat healthy to support my recovery. I eat organic, because who needs added pesticides? I encounter enough smog filled cities in my work to last three lifetimes. And I have a list of vitamins that I take to supplement my diet. Some people say it doesn’t work but when I look at my face in the mirror I think otherwise. So the vitamins are staying.
9. I adjusted my home schedule to stop doing anything until I’m able. So what if my sink has a few dishes and my floor isn’t vacuumed daily? Resting feels way better than doing dishes or vacuuming ever could. Or just get a maid if you really need it über clean. Hmm… I definitely need a maid. Preferably one that comes daily.
10. I use the “Be Forward Thinking” skill. (Here’s the post on “How Forward Thinking helps your business prosper” NOTE-Revising it be up soon!) Anticipate doing something fun. Like going to the movies, out for a bike ride or dinner with friends. Or in my case working on my next product, my next film, my next book! That’s what being a high performer is all about, doing more and loving every moment.
11. NO high heels until recovered. They put your spine out of alignment and can cause you more trouble recovering if you trip and break something. I’m wearing flats. Cute ones. And yes they are black.
12. I’m drinking lots of water. Hydrating helps the body remove toxins. I keep a travel friendly one next to my bed so I, or my cat, doesn’t knock it over.
13. Nothing over 5 pounds. I didn’t lift anything heavy. Not toddlers, cats or briefcases or books. Yes I have some heavy books and this one weighs in at 19 pounds. I purchased it from a Kickstarter from one of my favorite authors Seth Godin. Check this out—>Seth Godin’s book. This book is massive and yes I do actually read it.
14. I asked for help. And friends and family helped. A special thanks and virtual hug to Carole J. for such a thoughtful gift. Definitely using it! And a huge thanks to Kristie S. for everything too! And an extra special thank you to Marco Solorio of OneRiver Media for all of your personal and professional help.
15. Read relaxing material. Here’s my list of great books and magazines. Relaxing material is relative, what I find relaxing may not work for you. I love to read so its a fairly long list, and resting and rarely watching TV makes for a great date with a book.
Book 1. Show Your Work by Austin Kleon
Book 2. Steal Like An Artist by Austin Kleon
Book 4. Motivation Manifesto by Brendon Buchard I love this book if you want to know more about this book check out my review. This guy is amazing. I have attended his seminars and will attend his mastermind coming up in November of 2015.
Book 5. The Entrepreneur’s Solution by Mel Abraham Here’s another book worth reading multiple times. I loved it so much I have three copies. This week I will be heading out to Mel’s Business Breakthrough Academy. I have attended this before and it has made an incredible difference in my business and my life. I have written about Mel and his book before but if you are curious check out the post about Mel and I.
Book 6. Beauty’s Dirty Secret by Trina Felber If you want to know the secret to living cleaner and pesticide free check out this book. It has tons of information for men, women and children on how to look good in a healthy way.
Magazine 1. Hollywood Reporter Everyone who works in production should know this magazine. And here’s a working tip. It’s what I use to know what productions are in the works.
Magazine 2. Architectural Digest I love looking at all the photos and mentally rearranging my house. Which makes sense since I can’t physically do any interior decorating.
Magazine 3. Computer Arts This magazine is a little on the expensive side but well worth the content. I have learned so much about how other designers are using software and visual design to build their brand.
16. And my last final secret to fast recovery, is rest. Yes actually resting 100% for the first 2-3 weeks. One of the greatest thing’s I found to help rest was a Sobakawa Zen Chi pillow.
I hope this post hast given you something to help you if you are recovering from a minor accident. Feel free to let me know what you are doing to get better faster. We could all use some tips and strategies to lead a more effect and healthier lifestyle.
To your high performing success!
Connect with me on twitter @suzettemariel
Check out some cools stuff to like on my Facebook page at SUZETTE MARIEL
or look for me on Periscope @suzettemariel